Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The ' write ' thing

The last week went by in a winsome, alluring fashion.Mostly because I was occupied for most part of the week.The kind of blazing passion writing ( or anything got to do with communication) evokes in me, is completely unmatched by any other task that I embark on....So, thanks to the lonesome inactivity of the past month, I decided to give writing a shot that it is well worthy of!! That sparked off the inspiration to send a few sample write-ups to a leading news paper. Ecstacy is a the closest term I could coin when they told me that they liked my writing style etc..and asked if I would like to work with them as a features writer. They needn't have asked! They could have ordered and I would have jumped at the proposition!!!
(Now I am working there on a part-time basis since I have a full-time job of a software engg. that keeps me busy throughout the week)

So now I have started a brand new avtaar of mine as a professional writer. That I am thrilled to bits is an obvious thing but the next thing that struck me was..."what do I write about for the upcoming week? "(I am required to write 2 articles per week). Last Friday, following an overpowering urge to brush up my knowledge on a famous Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, I did an extensive search on this petite woman of the early nineties who spent most of her 47 yr. old existence etching out self-portraits. A year back, I had watched this awesome movie called 'FRIDA' that entails the life and career of this woman, wherein my favourite Salma Hayek has rendered full justice to this cult figure.

I guess half of me was driven by the inspiration that Frida aroused and the other half was compelled by boredom, but whatever the reasons be, I was on Google at full throttle. As I read on and on about her, I was fuelled by a burgeoning need to write about her inspiring, though short, life.Once my heart is set on something, I am driven by an animal-like passion to see an end to it. The same emotion drove me to finish the article by evening. So article number 1 was up and ready!!

Something beheld me from launching article number 2.Probably an intuition that something worthy is going to materialize!!!....Well, I waited. After biding my time over the weekend, doing 'this-n-that', Monday started as a bright, warm day extending it's big arms around me as though it was welcoming me back into an energetic week! I spent half the day writing the second article, which turned out to be my review on 'CAT-2005'. So this was the event I was waiting for, over the past week! It landed cleaner and better structured than I had expected while starting it. I had spruced it up with my analysis and how one could have sailed successfully through the other-wise shocking ( that was the majority's reaction to this year's CAT) CAT. Priti read the article and said it was smart. So enamoured by praise (one thing that always gets me going!!----my biggest SIN in life!)
I sent it across to the chief-sub-editor and sat back in reverie.

I was indeed tantalized by how wonderful I felt. Maybe victory gives a brilliant glow to it's recipient & that outshines every other thing!! And the fact that I had finally set sails on a career that I had forever secretly longed for! This is on a very small-scale in comparision to what I want to do ( since I am doing it part-time) but every giant achievement starts as a small step in the right direction! And some time in the near future, I plan to take on a full-fledged career in writing and be a successful one at that too!! ...I pray my God is listening. Well he must be coz it is my ardent belief that my posthumous granny is seated right next to him, on a regal chair and plotting a dazzling life for me!! Being her eldest grand-daughter, I was her favourite, you see..

And I spent the rest of the day giving well-thought after (and I insist, well-sought after!) advice to a buddy in the office...

The joy of that day continues, rocks and rules..........




5 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Blogger preethi said...

dear vini,

this post has turned out to be a real good one (probably because u are talking about urself?)

anyways Miss. Narcist
that was a good attempt to write to the newspaper...

good luck for an excellent future ahead in expressing urself thru ur writings.......

write!!!(oops u r too infectious..RIGHT!!!!)

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger manish said...

Originality was never my forte, here I see another narcissist . Nice writing/righting ? (whatever).

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Halcyon said...

Nice 1... :)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Halcyon said...

Nice 1 :)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Halcyon said...

Nice 1 :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home